2017-03-07

Find Your Voice



     Voice, is possibly the most important thing to have as a writer. If your voice is good I most likely will love your books. But what is voice? And how do you find your own? These are the two questions I will try to answer today.


     What is voice? Voice is when a writer has a distinct style of storytelling that is their own. C.S. Lewis has a very strong voice, so if someone blindfolded me and read me a passage out of one of his books I most likely would know straight away that it was one of his works.
     Voice is what makes a writer unique. One of the many mistakes I see new writers making is copying other writer's voices. L.M. Montgomery, J.R.R. Tolkien, and J.K. Rowling are just a few of the voices I see writers trying to copy. And I understand that they don't mean to, and if you do this, relax! It's perfectly normal for someone who hasn't found their voice yet to accidently copy another's voice. 

Do you know where this is from? (You should). Comment below if you do!!!

     How do you find your voice? This is a toughie, but first I think you need to stop trying to sound like your favorite author, and just start writing. In time your voice will come to you, most likely you won't even realize it! I didn't think I had my own voice until I was re-reading one of my stories and there it was. It's my own. And I love it! Here I'll give you an example of voice using a snippet from my novella Forest Zooks:

Sorry, I had promised myself I wouldn't post a collage of my book, but I couldn't resist. ;)

     Forest Zooks without my voice:

     That forest looked strange. Kimberly looked out of her car window at the forest of willow trees, they ran along the sides of the road. Kimberly raised a hand and started to bite her nails, it was a troubled habit she had. A few months ago her nails had been long and painted, but now they were chipped and bitten. Kimberly blamed her parents for this. They were the ones who had wanted to move three hours away from their old home so they could be closer to their elderly great uncle.

     Forest Zooks with my voice:

    Something was off about that forest. Kimberly stared out of her car window at the vast forest of willow trees, whose edges ran along the sides of the road. Nervously, Kimberly raised a hand and started to bite her nails, it was a troubled habit she had developed recently. A long time ago (actually a few months ago), her nails were long and painted, but now they were chipped and bitten down to the skin. Kimberly blamed her parents for this. After all, they were the ones who had insisted on moving three hours away from their old home so they could be closer to their elderly great uncle.

Is this gif necessary? Probably not. But it's cute, sooo... 


    See the difference? Okay, maybe I over exaggerated the example of “without my voice”, but I am a writer, exaggerating is what I do best! So give it time, have patience, and most importantly; DON'T STOP WRITING!!!!!!!!


9 comments:

  1. I love the gif of the cat, totally necessary!! Thanks for the advise!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't stop writing. Don't ever stop.

    Great tips Gray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hobbit!!!!!!!! yay!!!
    Thanx for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And yes, you're correct!

      Delete
    2. The Hobbit is the best. Ever. O___O My aunt and I are crazy about it.

      Delete
    3. Personally I think the Lord of the Rings is better, but the Hobbit is awesome too!!!

      Delete
    4. You're right... Definitely Lord of the Rings. Then the Hobbit. Then the Hunger Games.

      Delete

Hi, wonderful human bean.
I am so happy that you took time out of your day to share your thoughts with me! :)
But please,
• Be kind • Be respectful • No swearing •
I will do my best to reply!

People like these the most for some strange reason...