2017-03-04

Weird Things Writers Do

     


      Let's face it, writers aren't the most sane people in the universe. And pretty much everyone who knows or is a writer understands  that writers are indeed a bit insane…


     But what makes us crazy? Is it because we have to be three people at once, the character, the writer, and the reader? Is it the pressure we feel from our families and friends when they say something along the lines of: “So you're gonna be the next J.K. Rowling, huh?”
Or is it because we know that no matter how hard we try there is always going to be a mistake somewhere on that paper??


      It's weird how we, as writers constantly tear ourselves down. Our book isn't “good enough”, our writing isn't “good enough”, and we certainly aren't “old enough”. Our ideas are dumb and so cliché, and we have no voice because of our age. Or at least that is what the world tells us. That is what we hear from older writers, bloggers, and so many others.



     The weird things we do: tearing ourselves down over a page, tearing ourselves down because of a plot hole, and tearing ourselves down because our names will never be as famous as C.S. Lewis, J.K. Rowling, and J.R.R. Tolkien.



     But what if we changed things up? What if for once we silenced the voices of criticism screaming in our heads, looked at our work, and say these four words: “I love my writing”?
It is time for us to stop hating our works of art and to start loving them, blemishes in all. It is time for us to stop being ashamed of that book, because there's a typo you missed, and to start loving it. Because mistakes are what makes us human, and mistakes are what makes things real.

6 comments:

  1. So true. It's interesting how insecure most writers are—and I'm no exception! I certainly need people to read my work and tell me its good because my brain tells me its horrible but my heart is in love with it. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am super insecure about my writing, but I'm getting better at hiding it!! Sometimes you have to tell your brain to shut up and listen to your heart, especially when it comes to writing. :D

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for all of your encouraging posts, Gray!! ☺

    ReplyDelete

Hi, wonderful human bean.
I am so happy that you took time out of your day to share your thoughts with me! :)
But please,
• Be kind • Be respectful • No swearing •
I will do my best to reply!

People like these the most for some strange reason...