2017-03-21

Writing From Experience

     

      
      How do you write about stuff you've never experienced yourself? That is the question I get asked a lot by family members and fellow writers. How does a writer write about battles, pirates, kidnappings, and so many other things when we've never experienced or done them ourselves?
But do you want to know a secret? In a way, we have. When you write you draw inspiration and understanding from your emotions, memories, and dreams whether you realize it or not.


         In Forest Zooks I wrote about a homesick twelve year old girl. I have only moved once, and I was around a year old. So I really don't know what moving feels like.
         But I know how it feels to be lonely, misunderstood, and angry at my circumstances. I remember shivering in my bed, afraid of monsters that might be lurking in the shadows. And although I never feared Zooks crawling in through my window, I remember being afraid.



          In Enemy of the Dawn I wrote about a sixteen year old boy who is torn away from his kingdom and his comfort, meanwhile he's still trying to figure out who he is and who he wants to be. But I've never been kidnapped and left for dead in a field. I've never been so betrayed by people who should love me. I've never felt such hate boiling in my chest. And I've never felt so torn by myself.
         But I've been hurt. My heart has ached over friends leaving me, which in a way feels like betrayal. I've had people bully me and take away my rights. I've lost things. And I've felt confused about who I am as well as Eadric. Because of that, I can understand him and sympathize, even though I've never gone through all that.

         I could go on and on about novellas and stories I've written, but I'll stop there. Writing is merely the drawing of emotions and memories. It is putting the pain, the joy, the loneliness, and the anger into your story. And guess what, those feelings that you let bleed out into your paper in the form of ink can help the people who read them heal. I cannot tell you how many times I've read a book and thought, this is me, and felt so free and awesome knowing that I am not the only one who struggles in those ways. So when you're writing remember to;
Be real.
Be Honest.
Be you.




       What are some emotions and memories you use for your stories? How are you using them in your current WIP? And do you like the new look? I wanted my blog to look more professional!

Sincerely,





24 comments:

  1. I LOVE your new look!!! ❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's a wonder I figured it out, but I did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good Gray! This is what I discovered as a writer too. If I was willing to do research to get accurate background/history I could draw from my own life experiences for the emotions.
    Your blog looks lovely right now! The only thing I might suggest is a picture that evoked thoughts of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thank you for your suggestion, I've actually been thinking I need to do that...

      Delete
    2. Good thinking! I like the scroll!

      Delete
    3. I might replace it someday, but for now!

      Delete
  4. Aaaaah this is so, so important! Even though I've never been in the situations my characters face, I always think about the emotions. I believe that's what makes characters deemed relatable or not... whether they have real feelings or 'cardboard' ones. I've also read of this technique in Beth Revis' writing book, wherein she talks about never really being cryogenically frozen or waking up in a spaceship which her characters in books experience, but she tends to channel emotions to relate to them in some way.

    Great post, Gray! <3

    - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is important! I think one of the biggest mistakes we as teen writers can make is forgetting to try to feel our character's emotions!!

      Delete
  5. this is such a great post - and looovee the new design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thank you!! It's always so encouraging to hear that!!!

      Delete
  6. Great job on your blog design! It certainly does look really professional. :) Well done.

    I totally resonate with this post, you hit "the nail on the head" as people say. Thank you for sharing and of course, inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to be inspiring or encouraging, but sometimes I fear I come off as cheesy!! So I'm glad I didn't sound to sappy in this post!

      Delete
    2. Not at all! You did a great job. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow! You portrayed this perfectly! Well.... several of my book ideas are fed by my emotions - if I'm happy, the book is happy. If I'm sad, the book is sad. That's probably not a good thing... Thanx SO MUCH for reminding me how to *use* my emotions for the GOOD of my writing!
    I LOVE the new look by the way! xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way. I kinda turn into a puddle when one of my characters die...my friends think I might be crazy...but my family and close friends know I'm crazy!!! xD

      Delete
    2. I just started my WIP, and I'm not looking forward to killing-off my BELOVED characters. *cries miserably*
      I don't know how J. R. Tolkien could stand killing Thorin and Fili and Kili!!!!!!! :(

      Delete
    3. Lol, I don't know how he did it either! Good luck killing your darlings!!! :'(

      Delete
    4. Thanks... *sighs* :| :D

      Delete
  8. Great advice! I recently figured that out for myself, after a long time of taking "write what you know" too literally. More like "write whatever you can imagine!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Besides, writing what you can imagine is WAY more fun!

      Delete
  9. I love the new look. I want to read Forest Zooks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me really happy to hear that!! :D

      Delete
    2. The picture of Zooks (the boy?) looks like Ares in Scorch Trials (Maze Runner). You did a good job! :)

      Delete

Hi, wonderful human bean.
I am so happy that you took time out of your day to share your thoughts with me! :)
But please,
• Be kind • Be respectful • No swearing •
I will do my best to reply!

People like these the most for some strange reason...