7/21/17

Top Six of L.M. Montgomery's Lesser Known Works That You Need to Read

    

   

       Hey, guys! As y'all can tell, my hiatus was short lived, but at the time internet was acting up a lot, and I didn't want to disappear with no warning. And luckily it's back, and hopefully there'll be no more problems... hopefully. Anyways, I'd thought it would be cool to do some sort of "top ten" thing today, since I've never done one before... so yeah! Here we go!!!!  

    Lucy Maud Montgomery, better know as L.M. Montgomery, was a Canadian author best know for her book series Anne of Green Gables that she published in 1908.
       Anne of Green Gables was a huge success, gaining Lucy an international fame.
        Many claim to be fans of L.M. Montgomery to this day, but very few have read all of her not as well known works, because after Anne of Green Gables, she went on to publish twenty novels, 530 novellas, 500 poems, and thirty essays!

       Here are my top six of L.M. Montgomery's works that if you haven't read as an L.M. Montgomery fan, you should read…


6. A Tangled Web, 1926

A book about the diversity between two families, the Dark family and the Penhallow family, and how they are all brought together by an old heirloom.
       This is a funny and heart wrenching book, that I'd personally recommend to anyone who likes thick and splendidly tangled plots.



5. Kilmeny of the Orchard, published in 1910
       
This book is a novella about a boy who falls deeply in love with a mute girl, who plays a violin in an orchard.
        The story is a beautiful one, with quite a scare towards the end followed by a sweet resolution, making it one of my personal favorites.


4. Pat of Silver Bush, published in 1933
Mistress Pat, 1935

A touching story of a young girl on her way to becoming a young woman. The two books are through the eyes of Pat, a girl who hates change and is trying to figure out her place in the world.
       This book is another of my favorites, but let's be real, I love most of Lucy's works!


3. The Emily trilogy

Emily of the New Moon, published in 1923
Emily Climbs, 1925
Emily's Quest, 1927

Often considered to have a similar plot to Anne of Green Gables, the Emily trilogy is based on a young orphan girl named Emily Starr, who is raised by her relatives after her father dies. It is said that L.M. Montgomery, considered Emily a character that was way closer to her own personality even more than Anne, it is also rumored that some of the events that Emily goes through in this trilogy, Lucy Montgomery experienced herself. Either way, Emily is an enchanting trilogy and worth the read.

2. Magic for Marigold, published in 1929

A story about a child who didn't have a name until she was four months old, because her family couldn't agree on one, even though her mother secretly wanted to name her daughter Marigold, but was ashamed of the insensibility of the name. When the child falls ill, a kind doctor saves her life, and the family decides to name her after the doctor, despite their daughter's protests. The poor girl's name was Woodruff, until to the mother's amazement and joy, the doctor admits that his actual name happens to be Marigold! A child with such an odd name is destined for adventures, and adventures is Marigold's specialty..


And number one is….




1. The Blue Castle, published in 1926

Often said to be L.M. Montgomery's edgiest works, The Blue Castle is a novel about 29 year old Valancy, who has been over protected, controlled, and humiliated by her family her whole life. 
      But Valancy's miserable life takes a drastic turn, when she finds out she is dying and only has a year to live at most. Valancy decides that she is no longer going to let her family push her around or insult her, and that she is going to do what she wants to for the first time in her life.
       This book is the best! L.M. Montgomery reached new heights with this piece of literature. I would warn younger readers that it does have some mild language, but I love it so much, and it gets better every time I read it!

Have you read any of the books? What did you think? Comment down below!



Happy Writing!





41 comments:

  1. To be honest, I've never read Anne of Green Gables. I've heard of it, but never read it. These sound really awesome, though. :)
    (I said it on my blog, but I figured I'd say it here, too. I fixed the picture. Just let me know if its giving more trouble. :) )
    God bless you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good, and really eloquently written, I think you'd like it, or at least be enthralled by the beautiful vocabulary!

      I just went and checked your blog, and yes, I can see it! :)

      Delete
    2. Okay, thank you!

      I'll have to look into those sometime.

      Delete
  2. I've read Pat, Marigold, and the first Emily book. My mom wouldn't let me read any of the others, although she loved them as a kid :P

    So glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom used white out on a bunch of ours when I was nine, but I've recently been giving a whole bunch of newer editions, so no more white out for me! Which, I'm glad about, the pages are more aesthetically pleasing now!

      I'm glad to be back as well!

      Delete
  3. This is great! I love Lucy Maud's books and this makes it even better, I will probably buy these books or check them out :) Helpful post!

    I have read almost all of the Anne series but other than that I haven't read any of them. Thanks again for writing this post, not only was it fun it was also really helpful! :)

    Anna - www.worldthroughherheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her works too! I'm trying to collect all of them, but it's hard when my book money is short!! XD

      You're welcome, I think you'll like them!

      Delete
  4. I used to LOVE Anne of Green Gables when I was younger! I think I read it for the first time when I was about eight, and I swear I've re-read it about five times since then. I think the reason I liked it so much was that I really related to Anne; she had a lot of imagination like me! XD
    But I don't think I've ever read any other of L.M. Montgomery's books for some reason? I might check out the ones on your list! (I have a to-be-read list about a mile long, though, so that probably won't be for a while.)

    IndigoSky
    indigoskysblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell in love with Anne of Green Gables when I was nine, and I've been an L.M. fan ever since! I can relate to Anne too, because I'm also an airhead with too much imagination and too little sense!!!

      Delete
    2. Lol XD I remember feeling sorry for Anne because no-one really understood her, I wanted to meet her so we could be friends! As I said before, I had a lot of imagination :P

      Delete
    3. Same here! My mom use to jokingly call me Anne of Green Gables when I was younger because I acted like Anne a lot. :)

      Delete
  5. I've only read the first five or so Anne books, but I've heard of the Emily books and I kinda want to read them! I love Montgomery's style - I feel like the way she writes could make flowers bloom *dances through the flower meadow called Anne of Green Gables*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're good, I can't decide if I like Anne or Emily better, I think it's tied!
      And YES, her writing probably could make flowers bloom!!!

      Delete
  6. ahh! I love the Emily trilogy, particularly because she's an aspiring author just like me. :) I LOVE "Kilmeny of the Orchard" and "The Tangled Web." I haven't heard of the other ones--I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here!

      They're all really good, if you loved the others, you'll most likely love them!!

      Delete
  7. I've read all of Anne's books, Kilmeny and Blue Castle. I LOVE Kilmeny, and Anne! Blue Castle was a struggle for me, though...I didn't like it as much as the others.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Kilmeny and Anne, too!
      I don't understand why you would struggle with The Blue Castle, but to each their own! :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, I love Anne of Green Gables, but I have never read these! I really need to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only read the first Anne of Green Gables book, but now I wanted to read every single one of these xD I LOVE classics so much. Thank you for all these suggestions!

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, they're really beautiful, I love classics too!

      Delete
  10. I've never read The Blue Castle, but I've read the Emily of New Moon series and it is so good. I also read Jane on Lantern Hill, although that one was definitely aimed towards a much younger audience, so I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. Thank you for the list, Gray!

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've read Jane on Lantern Hill, I wish I had read it when I was younger, because it was harder to like it.

      You're welcome! :)

      Delete
  11. Ooh, I need to read some of those. Thanks for pointing them out; I haven't heard of the first few before! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, The Blue Castle sounds fascinating. Thanks for sharing - I love Green Gables so so much! And the movies are perfect, too. Especially Gilbert. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is.
      Ah, and yes, especially Gilbert! :D

      Delete
  13. I actually didn't know that she had so many other books! I loved the first three books in the Anne series, (I need to finish the entire series!) and I knew about the Emily trilogy, but those others sound amazing too. I'll definitely have to check some of those out! Great post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wrote a lot, my mom actually got mad at me, because I didn't include her favorite L.M. work in this post, lol.

      You will have to check them out, they're fabulous!

      Delete
  14. I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO READ THE BLUE CASTLE <33333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU TOTALLY SHOULD, IT'S SO GOOD!!!!!

      Delete
  15. All these books sounds amazing and crazy as it is my bookworm self has yet to read these.. (frantically looks for the best deal in these books) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing, have fun reading them! :)

      Delete
  16. I never much liked romance.. but this author. She wrote more than romance ;p - I loved her books. Devoured all the Anne books in a week. The Emily books are still some of my top favorites - I just relate to them in sooo many ways. And Magic for Marigold was like a treasure. I have most of those others, just haven't read them yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here!

      They're really good, I think you'd like them.

      Delete
  17. GASP THE BLUE CASTLE!!!!!!!!! I loved that book! Valancy is my favorite person ever! (sorry for the exclamations)
    The only other books I've read on this list are the Emily series. I also really really really love those too!
    I need to work on reading the other books.

    Great post, Gray!!

    -Lia
    catholicgirlstuff.blogspot.com
    lilahsmusicals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO!!!!!! And YES, Valancy is mine too!

      Thanks, Lia!

      Delete
  18. I just finished re-reading. The Tangled Web. Oh, my that book is hysterical.

    A lot of these are my favorites too except, I'd switch out Kilmeny of the Orchard (haven't read in years) for Jane of Lantern Hill perhaps. Also, I don't love all the Anne and Emily books equally. I was so aggravated and agonized by Teddy and Emily in my last re-read that I couldn't finish the last book. And I'd add two. Have you read the Story Girl and Golden Road duology? Those are lovely too. So basically, I love almost all of the LM Montgomery books since I think I've now read them all :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, A Tangled Web is really funny! :)

      Teddy and Emily agonized me too, in a good way though.

      Yes, I've read those two, they're really good, I enjoyed them!

      Delete
  19. I know,I'm super late to comment! I think I'd like to look up some of these books; I've never read any of them, but I might 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late! :D

      And you totally should, they're so good!!

      Delete

Hi, wonderful human bean.
I am so happy that you took time out of your day to share your thoughts with me! :)
But please,
• Be kind • Be respectful • No swearing •
I will do my best to reply!

What's Hot This Month: