2017-02-19

Does Your Story Stink?

   


    Is your WIP (work in progress), starting to drag? Do you no longer feel that magical pull towards it? What's wrong? You wonder, it's my baby, so why do I feel like I don't want to write another word in it...ever??? And then the worst and most panic-causing thought all writers go through; Maybe I'm not a writer! You might think this is just writer's block, but it's not. This is YKIS (You Know It Sinks), syndrome. The difference between writer's block and YKIS, is that writer's block is when you think it stinks and therefore you lose your motivation, leading to feeling like you have nothing to write. In this case put your fingers on your keys or pen, and keep writing. Write till your writer's block dies a painful and satisfying death *inserts evil laugh*.
    YKIS is when you look at your WIP and have the sudden realization that it's a doggie biscuit, and not even your parents will enjoy it. Are you depressed yet? Well, don't worry! If you are suffering from YKIS syndrome here are your treatment options:

    1. Try writing your story from a different point of view. Maybe the main character isn't the one who should be telling the story, maybe it's the second character, or maybe it's the villain!

   2. Change a few things up! Perhaps your character is too perfect, creating no flaws for you to use in the plot.

  3. Shoot, stab, or stick someone with a light saber!!! Ok, ok, I'm joking, maybe. Or maybe you should kill a character… Anyways, create some action, but make sure it makes sense. It should not be like: Anna was eating a delicious breakfast of whole wheat cereal, when suddenly a killer whale fell through the roof! Yeah...we'll see what you did there...

  4. And lastly, if none of those works, maybe you should consider giving up. I know it's not something a writer is encouraged to do, but maybe it's just not the right story. You cannot find inspiration, inspiration must find you.



8 comments:

  1. Thank you, Gray!! I need to keep writing and get past my barriers. I need to write my way out. ;) I guess the problem with my old story Keena is not that I don't like it but that I can't decide exactly what to do or how to do it. :{

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. But I certainly hope your story is fixable!

      Delete
  2. Right now I'm at a really good part in my book Chosen where my main character is about to discover that her old enemy from eighteen years ago, whom she stabbed and thought was dead, is (SPOILER ALERT) actually alive! (Sorry, Gray.) Anyway, I can't seem to write anything after the point when he first shows himself. Any ideas for how to continue? I need help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWWW! You ruined it!!!! *wails, lamenting in uttermost sorrow* Just kidding! I'm still dying to read it. I'm afraid that in order for me to try to help you in that way I would have to have more info, but you could always make the "old enemy" ;) kidnap someone when he first shows up. That is always a good motivation and enraging point for your character!

      Delete
  3. STAB SOMEONE WITH A LIGHTSABER. That is genius advice. Keep it up Gray. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Thank you, I try! Actually I got that idea from one time I had a plot point knot that I couldn't seem to get out of and I told my little brother that I didn't know what to write next and he said, "Kill someone with a lightsaber!!!" Lol.

      Delete
  4. This was really helpful. Thank you! Your writing is very charming as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I certainly hope it helped.

      Delete

Hi, wonderful human bean.
I am so happy that you took time out of your day to share your thoughts with me! :)
But please,
• Be kind • Be respectful • No swearing •
I will do my best to reply!

People like these the most for some strange reason...