6/7/17

Good Books: A Win-Win #RebelliousWriting

      


      Everyone loves a good book.
That is a well known fact. I mean, who doesn't like to curl up with a good book and maybe a snack or two?? So why is it that so many trashy books are being written as I type this?
       Good books that are clean and wholesome are a win-win for everyone. If my mom reads a YA book and likes it, she'll usually buy it and read it to my siblings and sometimes her class that she teaches at our homeschool co-op! (She read the Viking Quest series to her class if anyone's curious. They're a great book series, and the library noticed an increase of people checking out those books shortly after my mom's class ended).
         Who is against a good book? Have you ever recommended a book to someone and had a conversation like this:

You: You should really read these books! *holds out a stack of books*
Person: Does it have swearing?
You: Nope!
Person: Any sexual scenes beyond kissing?
You: Nope!
Person: Sorry, I don't read clean books, I only read books with swearing and sex scenes.

      Well, have you? I'm guessing your answer is “no”. But how many times have we had this conversation, or how many times did you have to give this answer?:

Person A: You should really read these books! *holds out a stack of books*
Person B: Does it have swearing?
Person A: Maybe...a little…
Person B: Does it have any sexual scenes?
Person A: Only two, or maybe, um, three..?
Person B: Sorry, I don't read books with that in it, I try to only read clean books.

      That is WAY more common than my first scenario! But it shouldn't be. We should not have to be so skeptical of books, we should be able to pick up any book off of a bookstore or a library bookshelf and trust that it's clean… but sadly, we can't. BUT, just because that is reality right now, doesn't mean we should accept it as reality forever. We CAN change this, but like anything in life we will have to push, shove, scream, and shout. Our voice will be heard, because good books are a win-win for everyone no matter your race, gender, belief, etc. And good books shouldn't be rare…EVER. 




 The Rebellion has Started

Here are my previous posts if you haven't read them yet, they'll explain what's going on:


And this continued it: #RebelliousWriting


     Here are more of the rebel army's posts (check them out, they're awesome, and inspiring, and just so...rebellious)!


Alexandra: Rebelling Teens





Join Us?


39 comments:

  1. Awesome post and thanks for the mention. I know we can get more people to join. And you're right. No one despises a clean book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, who would? And why?!

      Delete
    2. Exactly. Even people who swear probably don't go through clean books thinking "Why was there no swearing?" They just read the book.

      Delete
  2. I will definitely be writing a post on this soon! I'm in the middle of a Les-Mis style series :P and then I'm doing a book release blog tour, so I'm full for the next week or so, but after that... THERE WILL BE A POST ABOUT THIS ON MY BLOG. Promise. *extends pinky* Thank you for starting this, Grey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book release?! Did you get published?

      Delete
    2. No, it's for a friend :) Her book is excellent, though, so stay tuned for that post on Tuesday :)

      Delete
    3. That's so exciting! I'll be sure to stay tuned!!

      Delete
    4. Definitely staying up to date on that. Congratulations to her. XD

      Delete
  3. This is a great post! It is sad that we doubt books, but are voices are getting heard!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you Gray! What a great post. Woo, God bless you for moving forward with this. Here's my article...
    http://worldthroughherheart.blogspot.com/2017/06/rebelliouswriting-rebelling-against.html

    <3

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm mostly in agreement with you. I don't swear in typical life unless I have to for a play or something, but I have used minor curses in some stories recently. I'm fine with deliberate usage when it helps to characterize, though I'd rather not see the more major curses and vulgarities used at all. I don't like sexual content, but I would point out that even the Bible contains some mature material, used in specific ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I do get that. Although I think one can for the most part avoid using swear words in books if one is tactful.
      And although it is true that the Bible does have some more mature parts, it does not in any way glorify sin like some books are doing now. Some books have sexual content and swearing just to have them, and we are trying to prove that they don't need them in order to be bestsellers.

      Delete
    2. Quite right, quite right. I shall support your movement from the wings.

      Delete
  6. I hope to get my #RebelliosWriting post up this summer, and another thing we can do for this is just leave reviews on good and bad books. That's a huge thing we can do. If we all leave bad reviews on bad books and good ones on good books, that'll help. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just thought you might want to add it to your list. I really like this idea and had been thinking of starting something similar myself. :)

      Delete
    2. I will in my next post!

      Delete
  7. Hey Gray, check out the post. I don't know if that was what you're going for, but that's what I wanted to write.

    http://geoturtle.com/3-excuses-we-make-when-we-read-and-how-to-beat-them/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Libby, I read your post. I didn't want to put my email in because I'm sensitive about giving that kind of information. (I'm paranoid, I know.) I just want to tell you that I loved your post and I think it was really well said. You came with a different approach than a lot of us have been coming with and it's nice to see that. Also, I love how you worded everything and put verses in there. Great job. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Ivie. That's really encouraging. It was really hard for me to write this post. This is something that has been weighing on my heart for SO LONG! and I sort of gotten really discouraged, and when Gray started this movement I knew I had to pitch in.

      Thank's again for doing this Gray

      Delete
    3. Thank you for joining.

      Delete
  8. I bumped into your blog via Anna's, and you've made some pretty good points, Gray! What bothers me too is that I feel like the book market dictates what readers want. They want #diversity (which is a great cause but sometimes the characters with #diversity just stick to their stereotypes which then defeats the purpose) and because books with risque behavior are glorified-- it's what worked for years-- and because most readers just read without giving much thought into what they're actually reading, the cycle perpetuates. It's just my two cents; what do you think?

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I completely agree, well said.

      Delete
    2. I feel like #diversity is used to exclude some people because they aren't "diverse" enough for what society deems is diverse. Personally, diversity isn't important. We're all human, isn't that enough?

      Delete
  9. Gray, I'm super excited to see what God is going to do with this!! I posted about it on my blog a few minutes ago: http://alillyingodsgarden.blogspot.com/2017/06/rebelliouswriting.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm excited too! I will check out that post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I put up a post on my blog just now :) I hope you'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Gray, I was thinking and had a question for ya that I hope you don't mind. Do you think it would okay to write sex scenes in a Christian book in a good way? (BTW, I DO NOT write about this, just curious.)
    Well, great post and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it really depends on the audience you're writing for, obviously you wouldn't write sex scenes for a bunch of twelve year olds.
      I've read some (very few), sex scenes that I didn't mind. I read a lot of Christian adult fiction, and I always like how they only show the couple going into the bedroom and that's it. I wish YA did that, just imply it, spare us the details.
      I plan on doing a more detailed post about this soon, but those are just my thoughts in a nut-shell.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Gray! Looking forward to that post.

      Delete

Hi, wonderful human bean.
I am so happy that you took time out of your day to share your thoughts with me! :)
But please,
• Be kind • Be respectful • No swearing •
I will do my best to reply!

What's Hot This Month: