7/4/17

The Return of My Muse




        Happy fourth of July! I hope y'all have celebrating freedom and honor those who sacrificed so much to bring us this freedom today with your family and friends. America is a land where we are truly free, and it wouldn't be that way without our brave troops then and now.
I decided I needed to put that here, it is a very important holiday after all. It's pouring buckets here right now, but there's always hope it will stop in time... but by the looks of it, no. I texted one of my friends who lives in town to see if it was raining as much as it is here, and here's our down heartening conversation:


           But as Ivie so very wisely pointed out, today is a day celebrating independence, so that's all that really matters, not fireworks or grilled meat!


      Recently, I have been very busy, and in fact, I still am. But my muse has finally returned from its long vacation!
Annnnddddddd I have a story idea. Finally.

      Will it work out?

       Maybe. I don't know. It's currently called and filed under: Yet Another First Draft I Probably Won't Ever Finish
       And I'm not even joking.



              See?

        But if I do finish it, it's birth will have a funny story on its own. Last night, I was texting my friend, Elena (who also blogs, go check out her blog), when a random question popped into my head, so I decided to ask her it. This is why it's a bit scary when two writers have each other's numbers…


          Right now I hate my beginning, it's a little cliché in some parts, so I'm planning on fixing it if I ever do finish this first draft. But I have a lot of cute “dragon attempting to raise a human child” scenes floating around in my head that I reallllllllyyyyyyyy want to write, so I NEED TO DO THIS.
         Also, this dragon needs to drink tea.
         A tea drinking dragon is a must. Because, well, just because. XD
         I also need to figure out a name for this dragon that isn't too complicated, because I'd like to pronounce it too!

        I have sooooo many ideas! My mind won't stop racing. My muse has been absent for months and now it's back and won't shut up!!!

        Like, what if the dragon nicknamed the child “Bug” because she's small and a pest at times?

        What if one day the dragon freaked out because he thought he had accidentally stepped on her, but then it turned out he only crushed her toy rubber ball?!?

        What if one day the child picks a dandelion for the dragon and tells him to make a wish, and the dragon unintentionally turns the flower into a crisp, to the child's horror and amazement???

         What if the dragon had to put ladders up so the child could sit on the couch, the chairs, get on the bed, etc? (Because I will not have any dragon of mine living in a cave like a savage, dragons live in huge houses with ten foot tall furniture, duh)!

          I just have a lot of ideas...and I have no idea if this will work out, or if it does, where this story is headed, but I am very excited to have my muse back!!!!

         And I do have a pinterest board dedicated to it now, because I am a stereotypical teen writer, so if you want to stalk this draft, you can do so HERE. I found some really cute drawings of what I think the characters and scenes would look like. My favorite one is the one I think describes the dragon and the child's relationship best:


It's adorable, I know. ^^

         I will hopefully be telling y'all more details as my muse comes up with them!!!


         How is your fourth going? It actually just stopped raining all together here and now the sun is shining.... I think the weather in Texas is indecisive.
Do you have any dragon name suggestions?!?!
Oh, and also I will be very, very, very busy after today, so I apologize if I don't reply to some of y'all until next week!

Happy Writing,

48 comments:

  1. I love how your mind goes to odd places late at night. Mine does, too. I have an overactive imagination, which is not good for sleep.

    Congrats on your muse being back. Mine took a little vacation, but I'm going to drag her little tushy back because I've got work to do, lol.

    A dragon raising a child is an interesting concept. But you had be at dragon because I love dragons. I am a dragon rider after all.

    Thanks for the shout out. *gives cheesy smile and fails to look cool* That really does mean a lot to me.

    Yay, it stopped raining. I know what you mean by indecisive weather. Story of my life. I live in Texas, too. I wasn't going to say where I live, but I talked to my mom and she said it was up to me. It wasn't raining here, but it is soooo hot and humid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the sleep struggle!
      And you're welcome for the shoutout, thanks for that post, it was brilliant!

      Yay! Another Texas girl!!! Tbh, if anyone wanted to find out where I live, it isn't hard, the very first post of the other blog I'm on, said the name of the library that supports the blog a.k.a. my home town, so if you or anyone else realllllyyyyy wanted to know where I live, it's there! :P
      Also I'm always at that library, so I'm probably easy to stalk when I think about it...oh, well. I doubt anyone would go to that much trouble.

      Delete
    2. I think that's brave. I was nervous just to say Texas, but I figure its a big state and when my book is eventually published, you'll see its based in Texas. I also sometimes slip up and almost mention HEB or other Texas only businesses.

      I'm very happy to be Texan, honestly. What other state could survive as its own country?

      I'm glad you liked my post. I was worried it was too short or repetitive, but I'm very patriotic and was not passing up the chance to post about our wonderful country.

      Lately, I've had anxiety hinder my sleep, which is no good since I get up pretty early. I have to remind myself to enjoy the preset moment and not stress about the future. We'll see how that goes, lol.

      Delete
    3. I figure I'm already pretty "out there". I also put the town I live in in my authors bio at the end of Forest Zooks, so it's no biggie to me. I tell people that if they ever see me in public to feel free to come up and say hi! XD

      No, your post was amazing! It wasn't repetitive in the least!!!

      Oh, I'm sorry about your anxiety, I hope it gets better. Remember God is in control!

      Delete
    4. Thank you. I know God is in control, but it can be hard to put that into action.

      I'm really glad you liked my post. I think your post is amazing, too. And your muse returned, which is always a plus. Now the important question. Does the dragon like sweet iced tea or hot tea?

      Delete
    5. YES. I needed my muse back!

      Oohhh, I hadn't thought of that... ummmm, I guess hot tea, or maybe he should drink cold tea because he's a dragon and fire breath has to make one hot... sheesh. I don't know! I'll have to consider that one!!!

      Delete
    6. I think I have a post about different struggles writers have scheduled to come out. I have so many posts just waiting for their schedule. I can't ever get writer's block.

      Maybe the hot tea fuels his fire breath. I've never written about dragons before despite my obsession. As for a name, maybe you could go with a complicated one and then the child calls him something else that's simple so that's what the dragon goes by.

      Delete
    7. That sounds great! I'll be looking forward to that!!!
      Maybe... but I read my stories out loud to my family as I write, and hard names are always such a pain! XD

      Delete
    8. Oh, got it. Well, I have a bunch of naming websites. I'll be happy to email a link if you want me to. They are human names, but there is a name generator for weird names, I think.

      Delete
    9. Ooh, thanks! I haven't found a name generator I really like yet, so feel free! :)

      Delete
    10. Okay, I emailed you the links. I think there were like five or six. I have to use a lot of different websites to help me with character names. Hopefully it helps. :)

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful idea. I would read this book. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dragon books are the best! Be my guest and write a tea-drinkin', kid-adoptin' dragon!!! XD

      Delete
  3. This is an adorable idea- I love quirky dragon books!
    Are you looking for a name like Thunderwing, or a name like Stuart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Same here.
      I'm looking for a more mythical dragon name..but I haven't found one I can pronounce with ease yet, lol!

      Delete
  4. Ooh! OOH!

    What is the dragon goes for baby raising help to a cranky old lady? And from observing her, the dragon starts drinking tea, because she thinks it is important to child raising?

    And if you wanted to go with the Bug name, but not actually name her "bug" you could name her something like "Firefly" or give her a made up bug name.

    I would totally read this book.

    And thanks to you, I am going to spend the rest of the day imagining a dragon in a fluffy pink apron. And then somebody is going to say "Penny for your thoughts" and I'll be forced to say "How can a dragon change a diaper?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea! I might steal it!!! XD
      Thank you so much!!!

      I'm still wondering how a dragon would do that... the tips of its claws, I guess?? Lol. :)

      Delete
  5. OOHH, I love the "dragon raises child" idea!!!! Is it a male or female dragon?

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think male would be funnier, just because a female dragon would at least have instinct to help her, a male dragon is kind of on his own! XD

      Delete
  6. Wow nice idea I think it would be a little dangerous though...
    LOL
    So would it be a mom AND dad or just a dad or just a mom???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a dad. And yes, it would be dangerous, but that's half the fun! :P

      Delete
  7. I love this idea! It sounds like so much fun. XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could name your dragon "onne" not sure how you would like to pronounce it though. Or maybe Jalone just some names I made up. You pronounce that one ju-lone. Anyway love your blog.
    -rakayle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of Jalone, maybe I'll use it..thanks!

      Oh, and thank you!!! :)

      Delete
    2. Cool!
      -Rakayle

      Delete
  9. This is HILARIOUS AND SO CUTE XD I love the idea and happy fourth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Anna! Happy fourth to you too!!!

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you got your muse back! I don't know about names (I'm terrible at them), but I suggest maybe thinking about the core aspects of your dragon and then finding a name that matches those aspects. Happy fourth, and I really hope this works out! YOU CAN COMPLETE THIS DRAFT. I BELIEVE IN YOU. <3

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! And I'm usually awful at names, too!
      Thanks for the suggestion and the encouragement!!

      Delete
  11. OH YES. That dragon idea is SO COOL!!! Go write it now please. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, Jane! I think instead of doing the cliché "princess in hiding with magical creature" the child is going to be found in a cabbage garden and the dragon is tricked into adopting her by an old lady... I'm not sure yet, but I'll have some time to think about it this week!

      Delete
  12. Gray! This is a fabulous idea for a book! You can do it! You CAN fisnish it! I want to read this book!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I'm going to try!! *crosses fingers*

      Delete
  13. A dragon raises a child is an awesome and funny idea!:)

    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like, I like! This would make such a cute story - like, positively BURSTING with cuteness.

    *throws a party for the return of your muse*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thank you! I was so happy when my muse returned!!!

      Delete
  15. You can always just write the story for fun. It doesn't have to be "publishable," especially if you decide to work on some particular skill/skills. I understand the unfinished draft woes though. I have a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I have a bunch of just for fun stories, too. But I kind of get pressured a little to get my books out there, which is good, I think!

      Delete
  16. YOU HAVE TO WRITE THIS, GRAY.
    I have the sudden need to read about a tea-drinking dragon who's trying to raise a baby.

    (And I have the another-idea-for-a-draft-I'll-never-finish problem too. My sympathies.)
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. I REALLY do!!! XD
      Aw, I know that struggle well. :/

      Delete
  17. This is such a cute idea! I love dragons. The texts were really fun to read. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love dragons too.
      I'm glad you liked reading the texts. :)

      Delete
  18. Happy (super belated) fourth! It was pouring buckets here, too; there were times when the rain was so heavy it looked like a solid grey sheet! We actually lost power for half the day because a branch fell on our power line. Nevertheless, we were still able to get out to watch the fireworks display!

    OKAY I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR STORY IDEA. It sounds SO sweet + fun!! Best of luck writing it <3

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellie!
      I hope you had a fun fourth as well!!

      Delete
  19. WOW I'M LOVING ALL THESE DRAGON-RELATED STORY IDEAS <33333 also yes I completely agree - tea-drinking dragons are a must. ;) Isn't it so great to have writer friends who will text you endlessly late at night??? OMG WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT THEM. :'''')

    rock on,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks!
    It's so great! I seriously don't know what everyone would do without them!!! :P

    ReplyDelete

Hi, wonderful human bean.
I am so happy that you took time out of your day to share your thoughts with me! :)
But please,
• Be kind • Be respectful • No swearing •
I will do my best to reply!

What's Hot This Month: